Skip to main content

Standard Homeowners Policy Exclusions

Standard Homeowners Policy Exclusions

Standard homeowners policies exclude coverage for flood, earthquake, war, nuclear accident, landslide, mudslide, sinkhole. Some of these exclusions are discussed below. 

1. Floods 

Flood damage is excluded under standard homeowners and renters insurance policies. Flood coverage, however, is available in the form of a separate policy both from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and from a few private insurers. Additional information on flood insurance can be found on the Web site or by calling 888-379-9531. For coverage over and above the $250,000 limit for property and $100,000 for contents provided by the NFIP, excess flood insurance is available from private insurance companies. (See Topic on Flood Insurance on page 47 for further information.) 

Tsunamis cause flood damage and are therefore only covered by a flood policy. 

2. Earthquakes 

Earthquake coverage can be a separate policy or an endorsement to a homeowners or renters policy. It is available from most insurance companies. In California, it is also available from the California Earthquake Authority, a privately funded, publically managed organization. In earthquake prone states like California, the policy comes with a high deductible. 

3. Damage Resulting from “Faulty, Defective or Inadequate” Maintenance, Workmanship, Construction or Materials 

Defective products can include construction materials. An insurance policy will not cover damage due to lack of maintenance, mold, termite infestation and infestation from other pests. It is the policyholder’s responsibility to take reasonable precautions to protect the home from damage. 

Levels of Coverage 

There are three coverage options. 

1. Actual Cash Value 

This type of coverage pays to replace the home or possessions minus a deduction for depreciation. 

2. Replacement Cost This type of coverage pays the cost of rebuilding or repairing the home or replacing possessions without a deduction for depreciation. 

3. Guaranteed/Extended Replacement Cost An extended replacement cost policy pays a certain percentage, generally 20-25 percent, over the coverage limit to rebuild the home in the event that materials and labor costs are pushed up by a widespread disaster, for example. For example, if homeowners take out a policy for $100,000, they can get up to an extra $20,000 or $25,000 of coverage. 

Some companies offer a guaranteed replacement cost policy, which pays whatever it costs to rebuild the home as it was before the fire or other disaster, even if it exceeds the policy limit. This gives protection against sudden increases in construction costs due to a shortage of building materials after a widespread disaster or other unexpected situations. It generally does not cover the cost of upgrading the house to comply with current building codes. However, an endorsement (or an addition to) the policy called Ordinance or Law can help pay for these additional costs. 

Guaranteed and extended replacement cost policies are more expensive; but can offer excellent financial protection against disasters. This type of coverage, however, may not be available in all states or from all companies.


Popular posts from this blog

10 Common Car Insurance Terminologies You Must Know About

  Due to a lack of information on particular words specified in the car insurance policy document, most car owners buy a car insurance policy based on its coverage and premium but do not grasp its terms and conditions. As a result, using the policy becomes more difficult. As a result, before acquiring a vehicle insurance plan, it is advisable to familiarise yourself with the most prevalent car insurance dictionary words. To help you make an informed decision, let's look at some of the most common phrases related to vehicle insurance. Terms Commonly Used Among the often used terms are: ·          Covers with Add-ons Additional insurance coverage, known as add-ons or riders, can be purchased in addition to a Comprehensive Plan. These plans are not available as a standalone cover or in combination with a Third-Party Plan. Coverage or service-related add-on covers are also possible. A Zero Depreciation Add-on, for example, is more of a coverage-enhancing add-on, whereas a Roads

Business Insurance Basics

Business Insurance Basics Most businesses need to purchase at least the following four types of insurance:  1. Property Insurance Property insurance compensates a business if the property used in the business is lost or damaged as the result of various types of common perils, such as fire or theft. Property insurance covers not just a building or structure but also the contents, including office furnishings, inventory, raw materials, machinery, computers and other items vital to a business’s operations. Depending on the type of policy, property insurance may include coverage for equipment breakdown, removal of debris after a fire or other destructive event, some types of water damage and other losses.  Business Interruption Insurance  Also known as business income insurance, business interruption insurance is a type of property insurance. A business whose property has sustained a direct physical loss such as fire damage or a damaged roof due to a tree falling on it in a windstorm and h

Cost of Solvency 2 rules for SA life insurers ‘a shock’

THE cost of Solvency 2, the new regulatory framework for life insurers in Europe and the UK — which will be implemented in SA by 2014 — has come as a shock to company boards. This was according to Deloitte vice-chairman and partner Louis Jordan, who was on a visit this week to brief the accounting firm’s South African life insurance clients about the effect of Solvency 2 so far in Europe, prior to its implementation by end-2012. London-based  Old Mutual  indicated earlier this year it would be allocating about £100m towards the implementation of Solvency 2, which Jordan said was similar to that of other insurers. Historically, SA’s life insurers have been early adopters of regulatory change emanating from the UK and Europe. They will represent a “second wave” of firms to adopt Solvency 2. SA’s Financial Services Board has already set up working groups to establish the regulations for implementation in 2014. The overhaul is well under way in Europe. Existing solvency rules for life, non